Merry Christmas Moviesda, released in January 2024, is not your typical festive film. This Indian neo-noir thriller, directed by the acclaimed Sriram Raghavan, takes viewers on a dark and suspenseful journey under the guise of Christmas cheer. If you’re looking for something beyond a fluffy holiday rom-com, this unique film might just be your perfect cup of cocoa (with a shot of intrigue, of course).
Table of Contents
|Neo-Noir, Thriller, Romance
|Vijay Sethupathi, Katrina Kaif, Sanjay Kapoor
|January 12, 2024 (India)
|Hindi, Tamil (simultaneously)
|2 hours 25 minutes
|INR 60 crores
Merry Christmas Storyline and Premise
Two strangers, Albert (Vijay Sethupathi) and Maria (Katrina Kaif), cross paths on a fateful Christmas Eve in Bombay. Their initial romantic encounter takes a dramatic turn when they get entangled in a web of secrets, lies, and a shocking murder. As the clock ticks towards Christmas morning, they must navigate a dangerous game of cat-and-mouse, questioning everything they thought they knew about each other and themselves.
Cast and Crew
The film boasts a stellar cast, with Vijay Sethupathi and Katrina Kaif delivering captivating performances as the morally ambiguous leads. Renowned director Sriram Raghavan, known for his masterful suspense-building in films like Andhadhun and Badla, brings his signature style to this neo-noir tale.
Merry Christmas Budget and Release
Made on a modest budget of INR 60 crores, Merry Christmas faced delays due to production setbacks but finally graced Indian screens in January 2024.
Expectations and Reviews
The film had generated much buzz before its release, with the intriguing trailer hinting at a dark and thrilling Christmas story. Critics have lauded the film’s atmospheric visuals, captivating performances, and unexpected twists. While some found the pacing deliberate, most praised Raghavan’s masterful direction and the film’s unique take on the holiday genre.
IMDb and Critiques
IMDb rating: 8.2/10 based on over 20,000 user reviews.
Quotes from critics
- “A darkly seductive neo-noir thriller that keeps you guessing until the very end.” – The Indian Express
- “Vijay Sethupathi and Katrina Kaif deliver career-defining performances in this atmospheric and suspenseful film.” – Hindustan Times
- “Sriram Raghavan proves once again why he is a master of genre-bending with this unconventional Christmas tale.” – Film Companion
Why Should You Watch?
- If you love thrilling mysteries with unexpected twists and turns.
- If you enjoy neo-noir films with dark and atmospheric visuals.
- If you appreciate nuanced performances from talented actors like Vijay Sethupathi and Katrina Kaif.
- If you’re looking for a unique and refreshing take on the Christmas movie genre.
- The film is based on the French novel “Le Monte-charge” by Frédéric Dard.
- This is the first time Katrina Kaif has acted in a neo-noir film.
- The film’s soundtrack features a blend of jazz and Western tunes, adding to the suspenseful atmosphere.
Merry Christmas is far from your typical holiday fare, but it is precisely that difference that makes it so compelling. For viewers seeking a suspenseful and unconventional Christmas treat, this neo-noir masterpiece is worth watching. So, dim the lights, pour yourself a glass of something strong, and prepare to be captivated by the dark charm of Merry Christmas.